Economic development practitioners from 8 cities bordering US1 corridor, collaborated to discuss ways to revitalize this corridor, and create a better environment for business, eliminate blight in the Corridor and provide social and educational activities in these areas.
A recent Corridor Improvement Study was completed by The Volusia Transportation Planning Organization which provided vital information for the practitioners from Ormond, Holly Hill, Daytona Beach, South Daytona, Pt Orange, New Smyrna, Edgewater, Oak Hill.
So with this information, last November the group started with plans to develop events which would include participation from the businesses along this older/challenged commercial corridor. The first event was held recently, and was definitely successful! Rediscover US 1, America’s Business Highway Scavenger Hunt, was held April 11-19, 7 business days.
There were 40 destination participants, 5 from each city including businesses and historic landmarks Local chambers helped publicize the event.
Three main objectives
- Generating Traffic to Participating Businesses—exposing them to the goods, products and services.,
- Providing a great experience to the attendees which fosters buzz
- Attracting and fostering interest in the US 1 Commercial Corridor among the community—creating buzz that is newsworthy
The event metrics demonstrate the campaign’s impact:
- Sales and business during the event. One business reported 70 people came in their shop who did not know they existed prior to the Scavenger Hunt!
- An insurance agency wrote 3 policies as a direct result of the event.
- Our online word of mouse linked our businesses with participants and provided a social media presence with our Facebook page and website.
- Our media mentions included several newspaper articles that showcased the event, local radio and TV coverage.
Future planned events include activities that will emphasize the parks along US 1, and continue to demonstrate the assets of this business corridor.