What a pesky thing is history. The story of the past is never finished.
That’s true in the 300 block of East Park Avenue, where the long-familiar stories of two historic houses, one of Florida’s first black physicians and Tallahassee’s annual Emancipation Day celebration may have to be rewritten.
Thanks, unwittingly, to Tallahassee Mayor John Marks.
The Knott House, 301 E. Park Ave., and the Murphy House, 317 E. Park. Ave., are part of the oeuvre of George Proctor, a free black who built numerous homes in Tallahassee in the 1830s and 1840s. The Murphy House (1836) and the Knott House (1843) are part of the Park Avenue Historic District, which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.