Economic Development Director – City of Altamonte Springs
Salary: $74,710.00 – $123,272.00 Annually
The City of Altamonte Springs is looking for a talented senior-level professional to help lead the City’s Growth Management Department. The candidate will facilitate private sector development through the City’s site plan review and permitting processes while implementing economic development goals to foster business attraction, expansion and retention. To be successful in this role, individuals must demonstrate superb business acumen, creative problem solving and exceptional interpersonal skills to build mutually beneficial City-Developer partnerships. The ideal candidate must be a highly-driven person with the ability to work at an executive level and collaborate with the City Manager, Deputy City Manager and Executive Team on initiatives for municipal growth.
Executive level position at the City of Altamonte Springs where the primary focus is to work collaboratively with the City Manager, Deputy City Manager, and Executive Team on initiatives for municipal growth and economic development.
- Participate in the development review process by coordinating between the City Manager’s Officer, Deputy City Manager, the Growth Management Department, the Building & Fire Safety Department, and the Public Works and Utilities Department as needed to facilitate private sector development through the City’s site plan review and permitting processes.
- Implement economic development goals and objectives for the City, interface and coordinate with the development community, local businesses, various City departments, and staff for business attraction, creation, expansion, retention activities, projects, and initiatives.
- Provide effective professional leadership positioning the City to meet the City’s economic development goals through active participation in and coordination of the Development Review Committee.
- Compile and maintain critical information such as economic data, land structure availability, market information, and business support resources to augment the City’s economic development efforts.
- Research, create and review City ordinances as they relate to economic development.
- Identify and facilitate the establishment of mutually beneficial City-Developer partnerships.
- Identify and propose changes to existing City processes and codes to reflect current businesses practices, create efficiencies and encourage quality development.
- Identify under developed properties that are prime for redevelopment and ensure land use, zoning, annexations, utility agreements, developer agreements and other legal agreements are proactively established to ensure said properties are positioned to redevelop at their highest and best use in a timely manner.
- Research and interpret federal, state, and local legislation and regulations; monitor staff, external consultants and project sponsors for performance compliance and adherence to applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations.
- Serve as a resource for the public, including the development community, property owners, businesses, community organizations, and the general public.
- Drive to and from various City work locations. Perform additional duties as assigned. Be available for emergency call-outs.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the City Manager or their designee.
- Bachelor’s degree in Urban Planning, Economics, Public or Business Administration or related field; and at least six (6) years of experience in progressively responsible positions in a local government agency, or planning-related field in a management capacity with policy and procedural administration responsibilities. An equivalent combination of training, education and experience may be considered.
- Valid driver license. Must obtain Florida driver license within thirty (30) days of employment.
Driving history for the past three (3) years must reflect no violations of a driving related offense, or driving under the influence (DUI) which includes both drugs and alcohol, reckless driving, or hit and run involving an occupied vehicle or attended property, or an accumulation of traffic violations, plus three (3) points for each attendance at driving school (regardless of whether points were assessed against the license) where the penalty points do not exceed twelve (12).
- Certified Economic Developer (CEcD)
- Certified American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP)
- Master’s Degree in Urban Planning, Economics, Public or Business Administration or related field.
- Completion of the following NIMS Courses within the designated amount of time from hire date:
o Basic IS-700 (6 months)
o Basic ICS-100 (6 months)
o Intermediate ICS-200 (6 months)
o EOC IS-800 (6 months)
o G-300 Intermediate Incident Command (12 months)
How to Apply:
To apply for an available position with the City of Altamonte Springs, please visit the City’s website (http://www.altamonte.org/jobs) to review all of the position details and apply online.