General Purpose of the Position: The Director is responsible for managing the professional work activities of the City of Bradenton’s Economic Development Department, which includes the city’s three Community Redevelopment Agencies (CRAs). Work includes planning, preparation, and administration of various capital work projects, coordination and implementation of marketing and development activities. The position entails economic development initiatives, administration, assistance with and maintenance of various strategic alliances and programs for the department. Work in both local and regional collaborative effort with developers, investors and business owners to promote the economic growth and future vision of the City of Bradenton.
Essential duties and Responsibilities:
- Develops and coordinates implementation of area-specific and city-wide strategic economic plans to revitalize distressed commercial corridors, improve business development, promote retention and expansion address barriers to economic growth and job creation/retention, and increase local and international economic opportunities for the Bradenton community.
- Designs and promotes business development and revitalization opportunities through strategies involving creative and complex financing, public funding and incentives, real estate development, property acquisition, marketing and technical assistance.
- Serves as the City’s business liaison and a resource for the public, building and maintaining effective relationships with the business community, developers, property owners, realtors, advisory boards, community organizations and citizens.
- Compiles and maintains critical information desired by development prospects such as economic data, land/structure availability, market information and business support resources.
- Facilitates collaboration among local, state and federal economic development organizations, public/private and non-profit organizations. Coordinates activities among these entities and the community in order to promote sustainable economic developments and to ensure that diverse business and job opportunities are accessible and relevant to all segments of the community.
- Responsible for the management of the daily operations of the city’s three CRAs.
- Supervises, directs and evaluates assigned staff; handles employees concerns and problems; directs work; counsels and disciplines staff; completes employee performance appraisals; recruits, appoints and trains staff.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Skills and Physical Abilities Required:
- Thorough knowledge of principles, practices, methods and theories of planning, community economic development, and development.
- Familiarity with Florida’s State Statutes governing Community Redevelopment Agencies.
- Entrepreneurial spirit and approach.
- Thorough knowledge of state and federal economic and redevelopment legislation.
- Thorough knowledge of principles and practices of effective administration and supervision.
- Knowledge of accounting, accounts management, and grants administration.
- Knowledge of state and federal workforce development programs.
- Knowledge of personnel management policies and practices.
- Knowledge of government budget procedures.
- Ability to work effectively with elected officials, charter officers, department heads, representatives of other agencies, other city employees, and the general public.
- Sitting, some standing, bending, reaching.
Computer Equipment and Software Requirements: Must be proficient in computer skills, including Microsoft Office, Internet Explorer, Microsoft Word, Outlook, ArcView and GIS, as well as knowledge of office practices, equipment, and operation methods.
Education and Experience Required: Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited four-year college or university with major coursework in Public Administration or Public Affairs, Finance, Planning, Urban Programs, Urban Design, or closely related subject is required. Must have five (5) years of experience managing community/economic development programs or experience working with urban redevelopment and finance projects with similar agencies that include program development and administration. Possession of and ability to maintain a valid Florida driver’s license.
Preferred: Master’s Degree in the areas listed above.
Please apply at https://cityofbradenton.com/employment