The City of Sebastian is accepting applications for a Senior Planner with Engineering background. Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
Under general supervision of the Community Development Director or designee, the incumbent’s principal function is to perform professional planning work applying professional standards to planning, zoning, permitting, research, and implementation of the Land Development Code. The incumbent is responsible technical assistance regarding zoning and City planning information; administering address and land use data systems; conducting plan reviews for commercial, industrial, and residential development; reviewing building permit applications for consistency with land development regulations, conducting property records research; preparing reports and memorandums; and providing support for the Department in the preparation of reports and plans. Also performs complex and advanced administrative support and planning related duties. Responsible for assisting the Community Development Director in supervising consultants and carrying out special projects as may be assigned by the Director. The work may entail both current and long-range planning activities.
- Sites plan review and interpretation, field inspections and documentation of ongoing projects, review of comprehensive plan and zoning amendments, and reports preparation.
- Reviews and prepares staff reports for entitlement and development approval applications.
- Makes presentations to approving Boards.
- Compiles statistical data for purposes involving population, economics, housing, and other topics.
- Assists with coordination of related planning activities performed by private consultants, contractors, and employees in Community Services and with other city departments.
- Updates the city website as it relates to board meetings and planning & zoning items.
- Responds to zoning inquiries and requests for information from the public.
- Represents the Department at various public agency meetings as directed.
- Conducts technical research studies and prepares statistical reports for planning projects.
- Performs professional work related to a variety of planning assignments.
- Tracks and reports on submitted applications to ensure a responsive and timely review process.
- Assists in the evaluation of re-zonings, ordinance text amendments, site plans, special use permits, variances and other proposals on an as needed basis.
- Assists in the review of development proposals and site plans for conformance with codes, plans and regulations on an as needed basis.
- Assists in resolving citizen and customer issues as needed.
- Assists in the preparation of maps and other data necessary for processing of development applications.
- Reviews approved site plans, preliminary plat/final plat and landscape plans to verify zoning and code compliance.
- Works on grants and other alternative funding opportunities
- Works with various intergovernmental agencies on regional planning and development matters.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Director.
The list of essential functions, as outlined herein, is intended to be representative of the tasks performed within this classification. It is not necessarily descriptive of any one position in the class. The omission of an essential function does not preclude management from assigning duties not listed herein if such functions are a logical assignment to the position.
- High school diploma or GED equivalent; Bachelor’s degree in Public Administration, Planning, Urban Planning or related field with two – four years of experience in the planning profession.
- Possession of or ability to obtain American Institute of Certified Planner Certification within 6 months to 1 year
- Master’s Degree may substitute for job experience.
- Engineering degree would be a plus.
- Maintain a valid State of Florida Driver’s License.
Knowledge, Abilities and Skills:
- Some knowledge of principles and practices of Community Development activities including comprehensive planning, transportation, zoning, historic preservation, redevelopment, economic development and related ordinances, rules and regulations;
- Some knowledge of principals of local and State laws and regulations pertaining to urban planning, zoning authorities, economic development and related operations;
- Ability to prepare accurate and reliable reports including appropriate findings, conclusions and recommendations;
- Ability to present technical information to the public in clear, concise and easily understandable manner;
- Ability to research and analyze community development issues;
- Ability to operate a personal computer using program applications appropriate to assigned duties and responsibilities;
- Ability to work cooperatively and to maintain effective working relationships to accomplish job responsibilities;
- Ability to quickly learn and put to use new skills and knowledge brought about by rapidly changing information and/or technology;
- Ingenuity and inventiveness in the performance of assigned tasks.
- Skill in the use of a variety of computer programs, including Microsoft Office, GIS or CAD, PowerPoint and typical office equipment.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and assignments and meet deadlines.
- Clear and concise report writing.
- Excellent customer service skills, attention to detail in program administration, and the ability to function effectively as a member of a team are required.
- Excellent business writing and public speaking abilities are also needed for success in this position.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Drug-free Workplace/ADA
Applications for the Senior Planner are available in the Human Resources Department or can be downloaded from our website: www.cityofsebastian.org