2019 Legislative Positions
The Florida Redevelopment Association takes great pride in representing Community Redevelopment Agencies (CRAs) throughout Florida. CRAs bring economic vitality and jobs to our communities. Our members support thriving urban centers; improve infrastructure; recruit and retain businesses; promote growth and development in our urban areas; and facilitate public-private partnerships. Redevelopment is a sound investment by cities, counties and the private sector, and leads to long term economic development and job creation.
- Florida’s community redevelopment agencies (CRAs) serve to revitalize communities through projects such as streetscapes and roadway improvements, building renovations, neighborhood parks and more.
- CRAs are created by local governments and funded by tax increment funding, which captures tax revenue from property value increases in a designated area – increases that are the result of effective redevelopment.
- Unfortunately, Florida’s CRAs are currently under attack by proposed legislation that will enact crippling limitations in an attempt to impede the creation of new CRAs and terminate existing programs by 2039.
- CS/Florida Senate Bill 1054 and CS/Florida House Bill 9 aim to impose a long list of limitations that will have an enormous negative impact on the survival of local CRAs.
- Without local CRAs, the progress that has been made in redevelopment will come to a halt; property values will drop, and communities will suffer.
- The Redevelopment Works campaign is working to raise awareness about the importance of Florida’s CRAs to ensure continued progress in community redevelopment.
For further information, contact Carol Westmoreland, Executive Director of the Florida Redevelopment Association, at (850) 701-3608, firstname.lastname@example.org, or visit www.redevelopment.net.