The City of Sebastian is accepting applications for the position of Community Development Director/CRA Manager for the City of Sebastian. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
Under the direction of the City Manager, responsible for planning and organizing the implementation of projects, administering community development activities, and coordinating the implementation of public facility improvements, public services and other related programs for the City. The position oversees the zoning function, which includes current and long-range planning, real estate, and lands activities. Responsible for professional project management business outreach activities, rendering leadership in the development of planning and economic programs. Implementation of strategies to promote and support growth, expansion and retention of business within the City. Coordinate and carry out the tasks of the Community Redevelopment Plan. Is also responsible for completing technical work, developing, researching and maintaining public planning studies and programs which involve technical and creative responsibility, conducting research, and preparing detailed studies on land use, zoning, conservation, housing, transportation, population, coastal management, historic preservation, urban design, community redevelopment, and other areas of comprehensive planning activities. Ensures program compliance with criteria governing local, state, and federal legislation relating to growth management.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Assume full management responsibility (design, promote and administer) for all Community Development Department services and activities, including comprehensive review of the general plan and zoning code, processing of land use applications, and coordinating code compliance and City beautification efforts; recommend and administer policies and procedures.
- Develop, justify and forecast department programs, policies, and activities; negotiate and resolve sensitive and controversial issues. Has sound knowledge of the Florida Statutes and Florida Administrative Code regarding rules and regulations governing the compilation of data and analysis, and compliance with requirements.
- Oversee the review, and comments, on site plans according to Land Development Regulations, particularly in regard to general layout, landscaping, open space, and signage requirements.
- Manage the development and implementation of the Community Development Department goals, objectives, policies, and priorities for each assigned service area.
- Oversee and participate in the development and administration of the department budget; approve the forecast of funds needed for staffing, equipment, materials, and supplies; approve expenditures and implement budgetary adjustments as appropriate and necessary.
- Review, prepare, and revise the comprehensive general plan and zoning code; interact with community groups, citizens, and business involved with zoning related issues.
- Assist, in concert with other departments, in the management of economic development activities; develop strategies to assist in business growth; negotiate development agreements;
- Oversee the review of process planning applications; ensure compliance with appropriate laws, codes, regulations, and ordinances; prepare public hearing notices and staff reports; make presentations to the Planning and Zoning Commission.
- Conduct research and planning studies; prepare a variety of reports on findings, operations, and activities; make recommendations.
- Represent the department to other City departments, elected officials, and outside activities; coordinate community development activities with those of other departments and outside agencies and organizations.