The City of Fernandina Beach has an opening for an:
Title: Public Information Officer (PIO)
Department: City Manager’s Office
FLSA Status: Exempt
Reports To: Administrative Services Manager
Pay Grade: 131 ($33,594 – $52,911)
Education and Experience:
Bachelor’s Degree in Journalism, Marketing, Communications, Broadcast Media, or a related field with three (3) years progressively responsible experience demonstrating broad knowledge of development and production of print, broadcast, and electronic materials, effective public speaking, and regulatory standards governing the field, preferably within a public service environment. A comparable amount of training, education or experience can be substituted for the minimum qualifications.
Valid Florida driver’s license required.
Knowledge, Abilities, and Skills:
Must possess excellent oral and written communication skills. Must have high level of interpersonal skills; position requires demonstrated poise, tact and diplomacy. Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite required. Ability to work in a fast paced environment with demonstrated ability to multi-task effectively.
This position is responsible for communicating the organization’s position on topics and issues to the media, other agencies and organizations, and the general public, and is responsible for researching, assembling, writing, editing, and producing informative materials concerning the City. This position also serves as the City’s primary contact for special events; reviews and approves applications and coordinates events.
- Prepares press releases and external communications for the media and the general public regarding operations, programs, and events.
- Responds to the media, public, and outside agency inquiries and requests for information concerning City operations, programs, and events.
- Responds to media requests for interviews; arranges and coordinates new conferences; conducts inter-agency interviews in compiling information.
- Researches, assembles, edits, and presents news material through written and electronic media and oral communications.
- Writes and edits copy for in-house news, public news releases, feature stories, pamphlets, scripts, and other related documents.
- Photographs and records special events and participants.
- Coordinates news coverage at incidents and events.
- Develops and administers policies and procedures for special events.
- Reviews and processes special event applications.
- Develops and distributes all publicity for City-sponsored events. Reviews and approves all advertising, including posters, fliers or mailers for events.
- Performs other duties as assigned.Essential
Acceptable eyesight, hearing (with/without correction), ability to communicate (orally and in writing), driving, light lifting and carrying (5-10 lbs.), reaching, pulling, pushing, walking, sitting, standing. Tasks may involve extended periods of time at a keyboard or workstation. Reasonable accommodations will be made for otherwise qualified individuals with a disability.
Works inside in an office environment and occasionally outside in various weather conditions.
Communication (oral and written), Integrity, Business acumen, Professional knowledge, Analysis, Judgement, Attention to Detail, and Interpersonal Skills.
Any qualified City of Fernandina Beach employee who is interested in applying for this position should submit a Job Posting Application/Resume by COB March 17, 2017, to:
City of Fernandina Beach
Attention: Human Resources Director
204 Ash Street
Fernandina Beach, FL 32034