JOB TITLE: DIRECTOR OF PLANNING
DEPARTMENT: PLANNING DEPARTMENT
PAY GRADE: 76
HOURLY RATE: $27.03 – $60.23
ANNUAL SALARY: $56,213 – $125,272
Manage staff in the execution of Planning Department. Responsibilities including Administration of Land Development Regulations, Development Review, Concurrency Management, Comprehensive Planning, Neighborhood Planning, Historical Preservation, Design Review, Annexations, Zoning Compliance, Project Management, GIS Mapping, Environmental Management, Urban Forestry and Municipal Project Management. The position reports to the City Manager.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Manages, hires, trains, and mentors Department
- Develops and implements Department programs and
- Prepares and administers Department’s
- Assists Director of Fort Pierce Redevelopment Agency in the development and implementation of programs and activities as assigned by the City Manager.
- Provides presentations, professional advice and assistance to various authorities, boards and commissions and participates in public
- Attends and facilitates various City boards and citizen meetings.
- Responds to inquiries from and provides information to elected officials and/or executive management.
- Manages selected municipal and special
- Other job related duties as assigned by the City Manager.
(These essential job functions are not to be construed as a complete statement of all duties performed. Employees will be required to perform other job related marginal duties as required)
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Ability to manage, train, and mentor staff and implement processes and programs. Exceptional communication skills including the ability to articulate complex concepts and ideas to the general public and elected officials both orally and in writing.
Knowledge in Current and Long-Range Planning, Historic Preservation, Design Review, GIS and Environmental Management.
Effective presentation and report writing skills.
Ability to meet deadlines and manage staff in meeting deadlines.
Superior ability to interpret and administer codes, regulations, status, and prepare ordinances. Skill in GIS and other computer applications.
Ability to work in multi-disciplinary teams.
Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with Department Directors, outside agencies and the general public.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCES:
Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with a Bachelor’s Degree in Planning, Engineering, Architecture, Urban Design, GIS or related field.
- A minimum of six years’ experience in Planning, Engineering, Architecture, Urban Design or related
- A minimum of six years of specific planning work experience in the municipal or private sectors.
- A minimum of five years of supervisory or management experience.
LICENSES, CERTIFICATIONS OR REGISTRATIONS:
- American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP)
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL SKILLS:
- Light to moderate (15 to 40 ) lifting and carrying
- Acceptable eyesight (with or without correction)
- Acceptable hearing (with or without hearing aid)
- Ability to sit at a desk and view computer screen for extended periods of
- Ability to walk, bend, stoop, sit, stand and reach
- Work primarily in an office environment
- Occasional inspection and evaluation work in the field
(Reasonable accommodations will be made for otherwise qualified individuals with a disability)
IF INTERESTED IN BEING CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION AND YOU MEET THE MINIMUM QUALIFICATION, PLEASE APPLY ONLINE ON THE CITY’S WEBSITE, www.cityoffortpierce.com AND SUBMIT ON OR BEFORE THE CLOSING DATE.
THE CITY OF FORT PIERCE IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
11/29/12 EEO FUNC/CAT-AA/AA (Non-bargaining)